Spicy Jalapeno Split Pea Soup
Feeling like some comfort food?
Cook low and slow, this spicy jalapeno split pea soup is the perfect comfort food for any occasion.
Full of vegetables, flavoured with ham and cooked to perfection, you and your family are going to love this soup!
- 1 meaty ham bone (optional)
- 1-1/3 cups dried green split peas, rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 12oz vegetable or chicken stock
1 tablespoon prepared English mustard-
We used Colman's prepared mustard when testing this recipe. If you can't find English mustard, horseradish mustard is a good substitute
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Four Fathers Jalapeno Hot Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional minced fresh parsley, (optional)
- Place ham bone in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add peas, celery, carrot and onion. Combine water, stock, Four Fathers Hot Sauce and mustard; pour over vegetables. Cook, covered, on high 5-6 hours or until peas are tender.
- Remove ham bone from soup. Cool slightly, trim away fat and remove meat from bone; discard fat and bone. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces; return to slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. If desired, top with additional minced parsley.
TIP IN THE KITCHEN - For a less chunky soup, puree in batches in a blender or food processor.
- We used Colman's prepared mustard when testing this recipe. If you can't find English mustard, horseradish mustard is a good substitute