Spicy Habanero Beer Can Chicken
Amazing but true, propping an intensely seasoned whole chicken atop a can filled with beer, then grilling, produces a remarkably moist and flavoured bird.
- 4 teaspoons chicken seasoning
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika
1-1/4 teaspoon Four Fathers Habanero Hot Sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lemon slices
- 12oz beer can of choice
- In a small bowl, combine the first 7 ingredients. Gently loosen skin from the chicken. Brush chicken with Four Fathers Hot Sauce. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon spice mixture into cavity. Rub the remaining spice mixture over and under the skin. Place lemon slices in neck cavity. Tuck wing tips behind the back.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour out half the beer, reserving for another use. Poke additional holes in top of the can with a can opener. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity.
- Place chicken over drip pan; grill, covered, over indirect medium heat until a thermometer reads 180° 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can.